Our Journey

Matthew and I have been actively trying to conceive since 2007. We continue to wait for our miracle...This is our journey.

Saturday, January 17, 2009

Clomid...The Next Chapter

I survived my doctor's appointment on Thursday. As most of you already know, I had stressed for several weeks about the visit--nightmares, upset stomach, the works. My previous doctor had the "I'm the doctor and you're the patient" attitude so I went in prepared for battle. I knew that I was ready for Clomid. I had researched its dosages, side effects and success rates and knew that was the medication that I wanted to try. I didn't need my armor and weapons afterall. :)

After reading every issue of Parenting in the lobby, the nurse finally called my name. She completed the usual vitals and pregnancy test (negative, of course) and led me back to the exam room. "Undress completely and cover up with the sheet provided." At my house, sheets are soft rectangles of cotton that are large enough to cover at least a twin sized bed. The "sheet" provided was a 3x3 scratchy thing. I'm still unsure if it was paper or just cheap fabric. After about thirty seconds of deliberation, I decided that it wasn't worth the effort. So the "sheet" lay in the chair and I sat buck naked on the exam table waiting for the doctor.

When Dr. B. arrived, she began with the usual small talk. "How's the weather outside?" It was -3 degrees that afternoon--how did she THINK the weather was?!? LOL She, then, proceeded to ask me how I had been since our last visit. I explained that the metformin was making a difference--my headaches are nearly gone, my cycles have regulated to 28-30 days (compared to my previous 42 day cycles), but no pregnancy. Then, I boldly announced that I was ready to try Clomid. Dr. B. looked at me and began to laugh. I was prepared for the worst. She went on to explain that during that morning's chart review session, she had noted in my chart to recommend Clomid. I accepted that irony as a positive sign. Then, Dr. B. really suprised me. She said, "From what I remember, you do a lot of research online about PCOS and treatments. What dosage would you like to start with?" When you visit a physician, you prepare for questions about your medical history, your symptoms, and, of course, your insurance coverage. But never in my life have I had a doctor who actually asked what dosage of a medication I would like to use. Hers was not a question that I had prepared to answer! We went on to discuss the general practice of beginning with 50 mgs. because it is the lowest dosage available. We, then, discussed the number of women with PCOS who waste time and Clomid cycles on such a low dosage. We agreed to begin Clomid at 100 mgs.

After the physical exam, I met Dr. B. in the Consultation Room to pick up the prescriptions and discuss the plan for follow up. When my next cycle starts, I'm to take 100 mgs. of Clomid on cycle days 3-7. I'm to continue charting my basal body temperature and begin using ovulation predictor sticks around cycle day 10. After that, I'm to call Dr. B. when my period arrives for a "Clomid check" or on cycle day 35 for a beta. Dr. B. assured me that she'll be there each step of the way. And I believe her.

After several unsuccessful months of trying to conceive, sex becomes just another mundane task. But Dr. B.'s kindness and willingness to ask for my input has helped me to feel more in control of my body. Matthew and I have hope again. We're actually excited about trying to conceive for the first time in several months. We even had a couple of practice "babymaking sessions" since the doctor's visit. :) We're ready for this chapter of our journey and welcome it with open arms.

4 comments:

Mrs. JDM3 January 17, 2009 at 3:01 PM  

Good luck with the Clomid!!!!! It only took 1 month for us to get pregnant with out DD (who just turned 3) I hope you have the same luck! Sending a ton of baby dust your way!!!

Meridith January 18, 2009 at 7:42 PM  

So glad you found a dr who LISTENS and who you are comfortable with!! That is awesome!!

Good luck with the clomid! (((hugs)))

Stacey January 19, 2009 at 11:19 PM  

Kudos to you! That sounds wonderful. I am so happy and excited for you. Best wishes with the clomid. Keep us posted. :) Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your husband.

Blessings,
Stacey :)

Amanda January 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM  

I'm so glad your appointment went well! It's awesome to have a doctor willing to help. Mine kinda has the attitude, I could care less..now pay your co-pay. But, that is a changin'! Good luck with the clomid, prayerfully, you'll have a "POSITIVE" results!

My Blog List

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP